GAME BALLS (NEW!)
AV Softball will supply one new ball & one backup ball per game. If both balls are unavailable, the batting team will be asked to provide a ball until the supplied game balls are again available. ANY team throwing in a ball for play, MUST USE THE SAME EXACT "CORE & COMPRESSION" as the AV-supplied balls. (ratings must be legible on ball) If a team does not have a ball that matches these specs, that team must PURCHASE a game ball from AV SOFTBALL for $5.00 each. The UMPIRE MUST APPROVE any ball used during play.
NOTE: you can inquire from the Tournament Director before the tournament the "Core & Compression" ball being used to ensure you have proper back up balls available, to avoid delays or the added expense.
GAME & GAME TIME
Games are 55 min. (3rd Place & Playoff Games - 70 Minutes) (Championship Games - 80 Minutes).
4 1/2 to 5 innings is considered a complete game.
2. Umpire will call out GAME TIME from 40 to 10 min warnings, Umpire will not say how much time is left after 10 min warning, only that there is less than 10 Min. - Time Has Expired or Ball Game. Keep Your Time
3. Game time is forfeit time - Grace period can be given for 1st game only, 5-10 min Will start game with 9 players.
4 . Must be ready to play 10 minutes before game time. (Coaches take notice). Will result in forfeit!
5. At the end of 7 innings or time has expired. Tie Breaker will apply. (Last out will go to 2nd base to start inning). *NOTE* No courtesy runner for the last out until an out is recorded. Can have a runner for a batter who gets on base, not tie breaker runner until out is recorded.
6. Mercy Rule -12 after 5. (Championship game -15 run rule mercy after 5).
7. Coin flip to determine home team. (Championship game undefeated team has option).
8. Umpire is official scorekeeper. If questioning score, question must be asked before first pitch is made of
inning played. Must have score book. For Both Teams - No questioning after 1st pitch is made, score stands.
9. Must have 9 players to start game. At least 4 need to be women.
10. Ok to use 6 women 4 men - (BUT NOT 6 men 4 women).
ROSTERS AND TOURNAMENT FEE
1 . Rosters can be asked before 1st game, But must be turned in before 2nd game. Can result in Forfeit for no roster.
If any players are to play later in day, names must be on Roster when turned in - No Exceptions, If Roster Check is asked for, will result in forfeit of game if player or players are not on roster. All names must be legible.
2. Tournament fee due after 1st game, some tournaments due at check in time.
3. No player will play on 2 teams in same tournament weekend. Will result in forfeit. (Coed to Men - OK)
1. Arc Pitch - Pitch must have an arc. Not lower than batter's waistline/beltline & not higher than 10 feet.
2. Plate & Mat are strikes.
3. Pitcher can Fake pitch (juke) 5 seconds to release pitch once on mound or in 5ft area behind mound, if pitch is not released, then umpire will call ball.
4. Count is 1 ball and 1 strike on batter to start (1 and 1).
5. Umpire will call out illegal on pitches - he feels are illegal. If batter hits ball play is live.
6. No windmill pitching allowed, a ball will be called if you windmill on the mound. Can windmill after pitched has been released.
7. Pitcher must have foot on mound or in 5ft area behind mound when releasing pitch.
1. No lead offs – must stay on base after pitch is made, also once pitcher has ball and is ready to pitch ball.
2. Courtesy runners - 2 per inning. LAST OUT RUNS NO EXCEPTIONS Can burn runner - but must let umpire know before courtesy runner steps on base. If runner is not last out and team is caught before 3rd out is made of inning, runner will be out and if runner has scored, run will not count. Player will be considered a courtesy runner once he steps on base. Umpire can also call wrong runner out.
3. Runner must slide or avoid contact with defensive player on double plays - (Umpires Discretion)
4. If defensive player has ball, you must slide or be called out for not sliding. (Umpires Discretion)
5. Batter runner or base runners will be given 2 bases from release of ball once it goes out of play. - 2 bases will be awarded from established base or start of play.
6. Base runner or batter runner can be called out for verbal interference. (Umpires Discretion).
7. If base runner is hit with batted ball, while on 1st or 3rd base. Ball is dead, runners move up a base if forced to move and batter goes to 1st base. NOTE Base runner must not intentionally attempt to be hit. If base runner intentionally is hit - ball is dead - base runner is out - batter goes to 1st base. (Umpires Discretion).
8. If base runner on 2nd base is hit with batted ball. Ball is live, unless base runner intentionally lets ball hit them, then ball is dead, base runner is out and batter goes to 1st base. (Umpires Discretion).
1. Can bat up to 12 players. All field position players must bat – Up to 12 Awards will be given out
2. Must let umpire know how many you are batting. Turn in batting slip. (Always on table)
3. Batting slip is official line up. If not batting 12, may add a player to bottom of batting slip, only
When player arrives late to game. - Let umpire know. Straight sub only / No re-entry
4. Must Have Full Swings - Caca Swings –Must Go Up And Over To Outfield – Out If Ball Is Hit Down - (Umpires Discretion)
5. Count is 1 ball and 1 strike to start (1 and 1). In Inclement weather count will start at (2 and 2)
6. Has to be fair after 2 strikes. (Exception – In Inclement Weather – One To Waste – Count is 2-2)
7. Arc Pitch - Pitch must have an arc not lower than batter's waistline/beltline & not higher than 10 feet.
8. Plate & Mat are strikes.
9. Ball is dead once pitch hits plate, mat, ground or batter swings & misses ball.
10. Umpire will call out "illegal" on pitches, he feels are illegal, if Batter hits ball play is live.
11. Most bats are allowed. Bats can be banned if we feel they have been altered or tampered with.
Check to see which bats are legal to use. Note: If batter uses illegal bat batter will be called out, play is dead.
12. 1 up rule on homeruns (Out If No Homerun). Walk off homeruns OK -. Batter and all base runners go back to dugout once homerun is hit, NO GIVE UP RULE!
13. Batter can be called out for give up rule “IF NOT A HOMERUN” (Umpire Discretion).
ANY MOTION TOWARD DUGOUT WILL BE CALLED GIVE UP RULE! BALL IS NOW DEAD
14. When your team is batting - All bats, equipment and players, must be in dugout, must have 1 coach and one on deck batter & when on defense all bats , equipment and all other players will be in dugout, if not Umpire will call ball dead and either give a warning, call runner out, not let runners advance, or advance runners 1 or 2 bases.
15. Umpire must call "Time" before, you step out of batters box -this includes before, after and between pitches.
If not pitch will count. When asking for "time" make sure "time" is granted/it is not automatic.
16. Male batter must be pitched to. If male batter walks or is intentionally walked he goes to 2nd base, female has option to walk or hit.
17. When female batter is at bat, all infielders must be on dirt. If infielder is on grass, when pitch is released. Batter will go to 1st base. (Umpires Discretion.)
PROTEST AND APPEALS
1. If any protest is to be made, ask umpire to call Director - $25.00 fee. If no fee, you will be charged at later date and prizes may be held. Protest must be made at time of infraction, not after play has resume and not after game.
No protest on judgement calls.
2. Appeals must be made before next pitch and after infraction, one appeal per base.
EJECTIONS AND INJURIES
1. If a player is ejected from a game. That spot will be an out every at bat. Must let ump and other team know who that batter follows. Can sub a player to play in ejected players spot but no batting. If ejected player's team allows sub to bat, inning will end and all runs scored in that inning will not count.(Coaches take notice)
2. If player is injured, and there is no substitute, that player's spot will be an out every time at bat.
3. Any player or players using bad profanity words (especially "F" word) or "TAUNTING” - INCLUDES
ROLLING OF BALL FOR AN OUT = “AUTOMTIC EJECTION” ALSO SNAPPING OF CATCH BALL AFTER BEING WARNED!
can be ejected from game or tournament. Umpire/Directors Discretion. (Coaches take notice).
4. Any player caught with alcohol on field or dug-out area can be ejected from game or tournament.
5. Any player that is under the influence of alcohol can be ejected from game or tournament.
6. A ball player ejected for any reason from a game, AND refuses to leave the field and remains otherwise uncooperative with the tournament personnel will be suspended from further play in the tournament and may face further disciplinary action (suspended for 1 year or banned for life) and WILL cause team to forfeit game (coaches take notice).
TEAM & PLAYER RESTRICTIONS
1. AV will rank coed Teams according to caliber of team. If you play in Lower please check about upper players, some upper players will not be allowed to play in lowers
2. Tournaments can run as a upper and lower tournaments
COACHES PLEASE NOTE:
1. It is your responsibility to make sure all your players obey and understand all A&V rules.
2. Be ready to play 10 min. before scheduled game time.
3. Only members of the team currently playing on the field are allowed in their designated dugout and area.
4. We will supply one new ball and one backup per game. Each team is required to throw in back ups as needed. Tournament Softballs - $5.00 each.
ANY RULE NOT COVERED IN THE ABOVE, OR IS UNCLEAR WILL BE DECIDED BY THE DISCRETION OF THE UMPIRE/DIRECTOR.
**Director has the right to Forfeit Any Game, Eject Any Player For Non-Compliance to A&V rules**